What You Need to Know About Mould and Asbestos Testing in Your Home

Mould and asbestos are very dangerous to your health, as they both can cause serious respiratory problems; in extreme cases, inhaling these substances can lead to cancer, respiratory failure and even death! This is why it's good to understand your options for having a home tested for mould and asbestos and your options for managing these substances in the home if they're found. Note a few factors to consider, and then discuss your situation with a removal specialist as needed.

Can you just clean mould with bleach?

Bleach will kill the mould in your bathroom or kitchen, but mould spores you find on your home's framework or behind the walls is usually too deep and too thick for bleach to penetrate them completely. Also, you may cause mould spores to become airborne as you try to clean framework and other materials, and you could breathe in those spores or absorb them through your skin or eyes. Those spores could also settle in other areas of the home.

You may also think you've cleaned the mould spores completely because you can't see any more black stains or discoloration on the home's building materials, but there's a chance you could have left some mould behind, and it will then grow and spread. For all these reasons, rather than try to address this problem on your own, always leave cleaning it in the hands of a professional.

Should a homeowner collect potential asbestos samples on their own?

If you think your home has asbestos, it's always good to have a professional asbestos service collect a sample for testing. This will ensure that enough of the material is collected and that the fibres do not become airborne as the substance is collected. This will also ensure your safety, as you don't want to breathe in even a small amount of this substance during the collection process.

What increases the risk of mould or asbestos in a home?

The age of a home can increase its risk of both mould and asbestos. Asbestos has been legally restricted for construction use in the last few decades; depending on when these laws were put into effect in your area, homes built before that time would then have a greater risk of containing asbestos.

Homes in tropical areas or those on lots without proper drainage may see more risk of mould build-up because of this increased moisture around the home itself. Homes without proper ventilation or a good dehumidifier attached to the furnace may also see moisture cling to the building materials so that mould then grows and spreads.